Educators recognize the need to engage youth in authentic, real-world learning, and turn to experiential learning to transform learning in their classrooms, but how is this done?

Takeaways and Questions from today's Connect Panel

4 replies, 5 voices Last updated by Profile Photo Cindy Burt 1 year, 7 months ago
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile Photo
    Kelly Conn
    Participant
    @kellyconn

What were some takeaways you had from today’s Connect panel or questions you would like to know more about?

Profile Photo
    Monica Housen
    Participant
    @monica

One great takeaway for me was the importance of starting inquiry learning, or experiential learning, early so that students build on this way of learning and designing their own learning. It then carries through upper elem, middle, high school, and on!

Profile Photo
    Glen Blair
    Participant
    @glenblair

I am wondering if other schools are using SEL in combination with their Project Based Learning, or STEM or Experiential Learning curriculum in their schools? Would you like to be? I would love to team up with some other schools to support each other as I have had some success building the CASEL framework into our experiential learning, but I am looking for some High Schools that are either doing it, or are interested, as we have had most of our success and buy in at the Middle School and Elementary level.

Profile Photo
    Ruth Saintilien Floreal
    Participant
    @ruthyflo

One takeaway was the importance of collaboration between teachers and amongst students. When teachers are isolated and confined to their own classroom, they do not get the opportunity to learn from others or teach others what they know. When teachers get a chance to experience a lesson or activity together before teaching or facilitating it (especially in STEM disciplines) improves their confidence and can increase buy-in.

Profile Photo
    Cindy Burt
    Participant
    @cindyburt

My takeaway was the necessity for us to collaborate across levels for success, from pre K- Higher Ed.  My high school experience can be shared, but what is happening with younger children who engage in experiential learning,  as well as hearing about what is on the forefront in higher Ed- both help me as a NExT participant desire to implement change.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Only members can participate in this group's discussions.